A lot can happen in just a few days. Every Friday, we look at what’s new and what we’ve learned in the past week.
1. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the US has made public a proposal to lower the level of nicotine in cigarettes. FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb, MD, announced the plan on Thursday afternoon UK time, saying the agency wants to, “lower nicotine in cigarettes to minimally or non-addictive levels.” Public comment is now being sought by the agency before the plan can be implemented. The world watches as the FDA makes its boldest move on tobacco products yet, having only gained some control on the industry from US Congress in 2009.
2. The second reading of the Electronic Cigarettes (Regulation) Bill was on the agenda today at the House of Commons. However when it came time to hear the bill, it was objected to and has been deferred to Friday April 27.
If passed, the legislation would,
“Make provision for the regulation of the sale and use of electronic cigarettes; to exempt electronic cigarettes from UK law derived from the Tobacco Products Directive; and for connected purposes.”
The first reading of the bill took place last September. Before it is passed, the bill will have to be heard a third time by MPs before it passes to the House of Lords. We’ll keep you updated on the bill’s progress online and in the magazine over its various stages.
3. National No Smoking Day took place on Wednesday for the 34th time. The public health awareness day has been an annual recurrence since Ash Wednesday of 1984. Now it is scheduled to fall on the second Wednesday of March every year. This year, smokers hoping to quit smoking for good availed of free advice in store at our six Vapouround lounges, where we handed out Public Health England informational wheels containing advice on the health benefits of switching to vaping and the savings to be made from quitting cigarettes for good.
4. In Vapouround Lounge news, the fleet has now grown to six. Following the launch of our Draycott shop a couple of weeks ago, Burton-upon-Trent welcomed its first Vapouround vape shop last Saturday. You’ll find it at 167 Waterloo Street.
5. The 70th World Health Day will fall on Saturday, April 7th.
Until next week!